FAQ – How to Certify Forklift Operators
In 1999 after a series of deadly accidents, OSHA-a division of the Department of Labor, put in place laws requiring certification of training for anyone operating powered industrial trucks to prevent more accidents and fatalities.
A summary requirements are as follows:
1. Forklift operators must be at least 18 yrs old
2. They must complete a training and certification course.
3. Mandatory topics must be covered.
4. An evaluation of the training and the operators understanding of the material.
5. A hands-on evaluation must be performed by a designated evaluator.
6. Training must be equipment specific.
7. Training must be site specific.
8. OSHA can and will levy fines of up to $7,000 for every operator that is not trained and certified under the guidelines.
Further, businesses can face denial of liability insurance coverage, and industrial comp claims if there are injuries or deaths from a forklift accident. Employers are required by law to provide training to forklift operators can do so in a variety of ways:
1. They can hire a 3rd party safety consultant to conduct on-site training.
2. Employees can be sent off-site.
3. In-house training and certification can be developed.
4. Online train the trainer certification is now available and accepted by OSHA.
Many companies find that hiring an expensive consultant to do on-site or off-site training to be expensive and disruptive to operations. In addition, if an owner or manager is willing to take the training first to decide if it is a fit for their company, they can’t be sure that the training is right for their business or employees.
Forklift Certification Train the Trainer
Because of the simple access and low cost, many employers are now choosing online train the trainer certification and training. Online training provides all the benefits of on-site training as well as the opportunity for manager to view the topics required by OSHA and content to ensure it is right for their company.
And to prevent these kinds of forklift accidents from happening.